A Letter to Whitefish Business Owners from City Manager Dana Smith
March 17, 2020
Dear Whitefish Business Owners,
We are reaching out with empathy during these challenging times, especially for small business owners. As the situation changes rapidly, we are monitoring the circumstances and working to communicate with our constituents, implement helpful guidelines for our community and small businesses, and promote best practices, all in an effort to “flatten the curve” of the coronavirus outbreak.
Thus far, we have no reported cases of COVID-19 in Whitefish, and we ask everyone to be vigilant in best practices. Please note, we have taken the following steps to assist with potential challenges:
- While City Hall offices will be closed to the public from March 18 through March 27, 2020. We will continue to offer our full-range of services at City Hall by phone and email from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. We currently provide remote payment options by phone, by mail, or online. Our payment drop box located off of Baker Avenue will remain open and checked frequently throughout the day. We will also have a drop off and pick up location for building plans, applications, and other documents for various departments in the City Hall vestibule. Doors to the City Hall lobby will remain locked.
Important contact information:
General inquiries or to make payment: 406-863-2400
Planning & Building Department: 406-863-2420
Public Works Department: 406-863-2460
Utility Billing Department: 406-863-2456
Parks & Recreation Department: 406-863-2470
- An extension of this closure will be considered on a week-by-week basis beginning March 27, 2020.
- The City is waiving all late fees and will not turn off water service for delinquent water and sewer accounts through April 30, 2020.
- We have confirmed that the normal treatment of our water and wastewater effectively kills the Coronavirus and have taken measures to ensure continued supply to our customers.
- The City is waiving resort tax delinquency fees through April 30, 2020. We will work with each business on reporting needs through this challenging time.
- We are encouraging people to order take out and shop local.
We remind you of best practices and encourage you to remind staff:
- Practice “social distancing” by staying 6 feet from others and canceling gatherings of 10 people or more (no gatherings for immunocompromised people and/or 60 years +)
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue (or your elbow)
- Stay away from work, school, or other people if you become sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Consider work from home options
- Consider a take out menu, delivery service and/or decreasing capacity or eliminating seating to allow for social distancing
Our small businesses are the backbone of our community and we appreciate your hard work in making Whitefish an incredible place to live and visit. We will keep you posted Take good care and stay strong - thanks again for all you do.
With kind regards,
City of Whitefish
A printable pdf version of this letter can be found here.